Apply for PCSA
Why should you get involved with ACerS PCSA?
Being a PCSA delegate provides a unique opportunity to represent your university in the ceramics community and is a valuable way to network for your future career. Furthermore, the PCSA is an important opportunity for you to help reach and serve the next generation of ceramic materials professionals, while promoting awareness of ceramic science and engineering to the general public. The PCSA delegates also benefit from various leadership and professional development opportunities.
Specifics about PCSA Delegates:
- Both undergraduate and graduate students are welcome.
- The PCSA is active year-round.
- PCSA delegates meet to coordinate efforts at the annual business meeting held the weekend prior to the MS&T conference.
- Students are required to be Material Advantage Members.
- The PCSA develops ceramics-focused programming that complements the Material Advantage program, not duplicate or replace it.
What does it take to be a PCSA Delegate?
- A strong interest in ceramics
- Leadership qualities
- Reliability and strong drive
Being a delegate to the PCSA provides:
- A unique opportunity to represent your university in the ceramics community
- A valuable way to help you make the contacts needed for future jobs
- A great resume builder
- An important opportunity to help reach and serve the next generation of ceramic materials professionals
- A means to promote awareness of ceramic science and engineering to the general public, particularly among pre-college students
- A way to build and promote engagement in the ceramics community through online communities and participation in ACerS
- Leadership and professional development opportunities
Application Process for a PCSA Delegate
Applications are required in order to become a PCSA delegate. Material Advantage and Keramos faculty advisors as well as any additional ceramics faculty are contacted and are asked to nominate 1 – 2 undergraduate or graduate students to apply for the following year’s PCSA delegation.
If being a delegate interests you, PCSA encourages you to work with your advisor and/or ceramics faculty and apply for ACerS’ PCSA. In addition to an application form, it is required to submit the following three documents. APPLICATIONS ARE NOW BEING ACCEPTED FOR THE 2016-17 YEAR. The deadline to apply has been extended to April 30, 2016. APPLY TODAY!
- Resume that clearly identifies your year in school and includes any leadership, research and employment experience, as well as current contact information
- Brief letter of support from a faculty member
- One-page personal statement that:
- addresses your reasons for wanting to attend the annual meeting and why participation in PCSA would be valuable to you and your local university or department
- describes your interest in ceramics
- describes your academic or career plans for the near future (within 10 years)
APPLY TODAY! If you have any questions about applying for the PCSA, contact James Steffes, 2015-16 PCSA Recruitment Committee Chair.