FOCUSED SESSION 2: Advanced Ceramic Materials and Processing for Photonics and Energy
In the past few years significant progress has been reported on the synthesis as well as on the structural, physical and chemical characterization of ceramic nanostructures that exhibit size-dependent properties and on novel glass-based materials for optical lasers and amplifiers. The field of nanomaterials (e.g. nanowires, nanorods, nanotetrapods) has become one of the most active research areas within the nano-science community. Such materials are leading to fundamental new discoveries as well as applications in photovoltaics, optical sources, electroceramics, multi-ferroic materials, catalysis, and solar hydrogen. Optical glasses have been employed in the fabrication of high power fiber lasers with unprecedented performance and for optical waveguide based devices with multiple functionalities.
This session focuses on all ceramic materials with application potentials as functional materials, with particular consideration given to the capability to tailor and control material properties via surface and structural modifications. The session also includes novel optical glass-based materials with new functionalities, new emission wavelengths and with an overview toward integration with other classes of materials (polymers, metals). New nanotechnology tools and technological procedures for the development of new functional devices integrating bottom-up and top-down technologies will be also considered.
Proposed Session Topics
- Multifunctional materials
- Advanced and nanostructured materials for photonics, electronics and sensing
- Advanced and nanostructured materials for photovoltaics and solar fuels
- Advanced glass based materials for laser sources and nonlinear applications
- Alberto Vomiero, Luleå University of Technology, Sweden
- Federico Rosei, University du Quebec, Canada
- Yasuhiro Tachibana, RMIT University, Australia
- David Kisailus, University of California at Riverside
Point of Contact
- Alberto Vomiero: email@example.com