2023 GEMS Finalists
2023 Diamond Awardees
2023 Sapphire Awardees
Mohammed El Loubani
The Basic Science Division organizes the annual Graduate Excellence in Materials Science (GEMS) awards to recognize the outstanding achievements of graduate students in Materials Science and Engineering. The award is open to all graduate students who are making an oral presentation in any symposium or session at the Materials Science & Technology (MS&T) meeting.
The criteria for the selection of the award winners are:
a. The scientific and academic accomplishment of the student
b. The quality of the research presented at the meeting
c. The quality of the oral presentation
The award will be administered as follows:
- Students must specifically apply to be considered for the award. All full-time registered graduate students are eligible. Membership in Material Advantage is not required.
- The application will consist of the abstract for oral presentation at MS&T23 (addressing Criterion b) and a three-page summary of the academic and research accomplishments of the student.
- The selection committee will identify up to ten students as the finalists for this award. They will be announced prior to MS&T.
- When the students make their presentation in their respective symposia at their allotted time, representative members of the Award Selection committee will be present and will evaluate the quality of the presentation (Criterion c). The finalists will be divided into groups: Up to three papers will be selected to receive the Diamond award and the others the Sapphire award.
- The Division will award each finalist a cash honorarium of $100. In addition, they will receive a certificate from The American Ceramic Society.
There are two deadlines to be aware of for this award
Deadline to submit abstracts to MS&T23: April 3, 2023
Deadline to apply for GEMS award: August 4, 2023
Students must email their abstracts for their oral presentation at MS&T23, the Symposium to which the abstract has been submitted and a three page summary of their academic and research accomplishments (in Word or pdf format) to Dr. Amanda Krause, Chair of the GEMS award selection committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IMPORTANT SUBMISSION NOTE
All documents submitted via email should have the student’s last name, first name, GEMS, and type of submission in the file name.
Example: KrauseAmandaGEMSabstract or KrauseAmandaGEMSresearch