The Karl Schwartzwalder-Professional Achievement in Ceramic Engineering (PACE) Award is presented by The American Ceramic Society’s Education and Professional Development Council (ACerS/EPDC). It honors the past president of the National Institute of Ceramic Engineers (NICE); currently, the newly formed Education and Professional Development Council (EPDC) and Distinguished Life Member of ACerS. This Award is a commemorative glass piece with the words “Schwartzwalder-PACE Award” accompanied by a certificate containing a citation of achievement on which the Award is based. The presentation is be made during the Annual Meeting of the Society.
The award recognizes an outstanding young ceramic/glass engineer whose achievements have been significant to the profession and to the general welfare of all people. Nominations are open to all branches of the ceramic industry. An individual or group may nominate one or more candidates who shall be members of ACerS for a minimum of three years at the time of nomination. Nominations shall be considered for five years. It is possible to update the nomination during this period. A nominee must be younger than 40 years of age at the time of the award presentation.
Nominees will be judged on answers to the two primary questions:
- What outstanding contribution has the nominee made to the nominee’s work or profession?
- What outstanding contribution has the nominee made to the public welfare?
The contributions referred to in the first question may be of an engineering, managerial, economic, or scientific nature.
The contribution referred to in the second question may be of a general nature relating to community and/or public service.
As a condition for consideration, the nominee shall sign the nomination form attesting that the facts contained therein are true and can be used for publication.
- Nomination letter (maximum length two pages) that includes:
– Nominee’s name, position, and affiliation
– Clear articulation of the nominee’s contributions to ceramic/glass engineering
– Nominator’s name, position, and affiliation
- Answers to questions 1 and 2 (maximum length two pages total)
- A maximum of 3 support letters as separate attachments (maximum length one page each)Questions may be directed to Erica Zimmerman at email@example.com.