Emeritus member Robert W. Richards died Dec. 30, 2012.
Richards was born July 5, 1923. He went on to be an executive of the Richards Brick Co., Edwardsville, Ill., after attending both the University of Illinois and the University of Cincinnati. He was responsible for the technical development of new materials and engineering of plant improvements.
Richards was responsible for many developments of colors and textures for his firm, which was on of the first plants to revive the art of colored engobes on face brick in the 1950s.
Richards joined The American Ceramic Society in 1955 and was affiliated with its Structural Clay Products Division, NICE and Keramos. He served as program chair, secretary, vice chair, chair-elect and chair of the division in the 1966-1970 period. He was tapped to be a Fellow of the Society in 1971.