Winter Workshop 2023
The Winter Workshop will take place January 20 – 22 January 2023 at Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort Hotel in Daytona Beach, Florida, USA. This event is sponsored by The American Ceramic Society and The Ceramic and Glass Industry Foundation.
Winter Workshop is designed for ceramic and glass students and young professionals from around the world. The workshop provides a combination of technical and professional development sessions plus outstanding networking opportunities. Optionally, students can take a group tour of the Kennedy Space Center in Merritt Island, Florida on Sunday.
Registration to the Winter Workshop cost $295 USD and includes:
- Friday night Winter Workshop welcome reception
- Registration to the Winter Workshop lecture series on Saturday, featuring a combination of technical and professional development sessions PLUS a two-hour writing workshop to prepare students for the job market
- Saturday meals, including breakfast, lunch, and coffee break
- Saturday night social and networking event hosted by the PCSA
- Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights at the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort (shared housing)
Registration to the group tour of the Kennedy Space Center costs $75 USD and includes:
- Transportation to and from the Kennedy Space Center
- Admission to the Kennedy Space Center
- Lunch voucher
- Note: The tour will return in time for the welcome reception of ICACC
Featured Guest Speakers
- Beth Dickey, Dept. Head of Materials Science and Engineering at Carnegie Mellon University
- Ricardo Castro, Professor of Materials Science and Engineering at University of California, Davis
- Jamesa Stokes, Materials Research Engineer at NASA Glenn Research Center
- Tim Powers, Sr. Engineering Design Lead at Owens Corning
- Charmayne Lonergan, Materials Scientist at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Casey Schwarz, Associate Professor of Physics, Department Chair at Ursinus College
- PLUS faculty from the University of Florida's Writing Program: Andrea Caloiaro, Angela Brown, & Emily Bald
Registration to Winter Workshop includes three nights of shared housing at the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort and will be arranged by ACerS. If you have special accommodations you'd like to be considered (e.g. you wish to room with someone in particular), please send Amanda Engen an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Those wishing to extend their stay beyond the three days provided will be responsible for making their own reservations.
The International Conference and Expo on Advanced Ceramics and Composites (ICACC) Conference
The 47th International Conference and Expo on Advanced Ceramics and Composites (ICACC) conference will take place from January 22 – 27 also at Daytona Beach, Florida (USA). This international conference is focused on cutting-edge research and product developments in advanced ceramics, armor ceramics, solid oxide fuel cells, ceramic coatings, bioceramics, and more.
Students who wish to also attend ICACC can apply for additional funding.
If you are a non U.S. resident planning to attend this meeting, please note that the process of obtaining a visa to enter the United States may take several months. If you require an invitation letter in order to obtain a visa, first ensure your passport has 6 months of validity beyond your travel dates and enough blank pages available for each border crossing you must make for the trip.
To request a letter, please send an email with name of the meeting you plan to attend, your full name, mailing address, telephone number, date of birth, place of birth, passport number, passport issue date and passport expiration date to email@example.com to obtain an official invitation from The American Ceramic Society.
The European Ceramic Society (ECerS) Grant Funding Opportunity
In the framework of the ECerS International Ceramist Student Exchange Program ECerS presents the January 2023 Winter Workshop Grant. The purpose of this grant awarded by ECerS with the financial support of the JECS Trust is to help European students to participate in the Winter Workshop. A Grant of 1.200 € will be awarded to the 15 selected students.
The candidate to benefit from this support must be registered as a PhD student in a European Laboratory located in a member national ceramic society and should be personally a member of the society (priority – if the student is not a member, his/her supervisor must be a member). He/she will submit an application including a brief description of the thesis work and the reasons why he or she wishes to participate in the Winter Workshop (i.e. relationship with the thesis work).
Deadline to apply for the ECerS grant is September 30th 2022.