Published on October 21st, 2013 | By: P. Carlo Ratto0
News from the glass and refractory ceramics worldPublished on October 21st, 2013 | By: P. Carlo Ratto
- (GlassGlobal.com) Chandra Somany, non-executive chairman of the board of Hindustan National Glass, was awarded the 43rd Phoenix Award at a ceremony in Berlin earlier this month.
- Asahi Glass says it will transition its glass factory in Suzhou, China from making glass for solar photovoltaic (PV) modules to producing automotive glass. The company cites dropping PV glass prices and the many automakers operating in the Suzhou area as reasons for its decision to phase out PV glass production at the facility. Conversion is expected to require an investment of ¥4.5 billion, and Asahi expects to begin mass production of auto glass early in 2015.
- In other news from Asahi Glass, the company says its Brazilian unit AGC Glass Brazil has started production of architectural glass at its complex in Guaratinguetá, São Paulo state. The plant will also manufacture automotive glass and mirrors, and is expected to produce approximately 220,000 tons of float glass per year.
- (Glass International) After a three-year shutdown for refurbishment and replacement of outdated equipment, Zimbabwe Glass Industries has resumed production of flint glass soft drink bottles for beverage manufacturer Delta Beverage. Zimglass is expected to produce 2,100 metric tons of flint glass containers per month between now and March 2014.
- The new Roskill report “Magnesium Compounds: Global Industry Markets and Outlook 2013” analyzes the likely effects of new capacities on global magnesia supply and demand, providing information on applications expected to drive demand, new projects and expansions, and price forecasts to 2018 for each region by main market.
- The total mineral sands production of Iluka Resources Ltd. fell in the third quarter in response to lower demand, the company reports (pdf). In the three months to September 30th, Iluka produced 276,500 metric tons of total mineral sands, a decrease of 30.4% from the 397,500 metric tons it produced in the September 2012 quarter.
Back to Previous Page