Coordinated by The American Ceramic Society’s Diversity & Inclusion Subcommittee, the ACerS Diversity & Inclusion Member Community offers a place for ACerS members to collaboratively work toward developing a diverse, inclusive, and equitable organization for ceramics and glass professionals.
Research shows that organizational diversity leads to expanded creativity and problem-solving, better decision-making, increased productivity, enhanced engagement and retention, and a better reputation.
The ACerS Diversity & Inclusion Member Community coordinates the development of short-term and long-term initiatives to attract and retain individuals from underrepresented groups into materials science and the Society, reduce unintentional bias, and ensure equal opportunities for all members.
The ACerS Diversity & Inclusion Member Community is a group within the new ACerS Member Community online platform, which is a place for ACerS members to connect with other members. The Member Community hosts a variety of groups based on your specific interests. The Diversity & Inclusion Member Community is for members who want to help foster a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment for everyone in the ceramics and glass community.
If striving for a diverse and inclusive organization through dialogue, collaboration, and outreach initiatives is important to you, we encourage you to join the ACerS Diversity & Inclusion Member Community. In this group you can:
- Communicate with other members on diversity, inclusion, and equity related topics
- Share and learn about DEI programs, awards and initiatives in Materials Science
- Seek answers to your questions and solutions to your problems
- And much more!
Here are a few tips to get started:
- Log into your membership account at ceramics.org.
- Navigate to the Member Community platform by choosing the Member Community link in the main menu.
- Visit the “Get Started” page
- Go to the “All Groups” page
- “Ask to Join” the Diversity & Inclusion Community.
Once you’re in the group, click your name (top right) and go to your profile. You can upload a headshot and add a brief bio about yourself, including areas of research and anything else you want others to know about you. If you encounter any difficulties, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Together we can foster a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment for everyone in the ceramics and glass profession!