The Young Professional Network (YPN) is designed for ACerS members who have completed their terminal degree or are 25 years of age and up to 40 years of age.
Expand your circle through ACerS Young Professionals Network (YPN)
The American Ceramic Society’s Young Professionals Network (YPN) aims to:
- Attract and retain young professionals as members of The American Ceramic Society
- Connect young professionals with opportunities to actively contribute and take on leadership roles in the Society
- Create a technical and social network amongst young professionals within the Society
- Provide opportunities for professional development training of relevance to young professionals
- Facilitate networking between YPN members and senior leaders in the ceramics and glass communities
Join the growing YPN community
If you have completed your terminal degree and/or are between the ages of 25-40, you are encouraged to join the ACerS Young Professionals Network (YPN).
You may join this growing community by logging in to your ACerS Personal Snapshot and marking "Young Professionals Network (YPN)" under the Interest Groups and Communities tab.
Young Professionals Network (YPN) Opportunities
Young Professional Awards
Apply for one or more of the following awards that are specifically geared towards young professionals! Gain visibility and recognition while building your CV with ACerS.
- Global Young Investigator Award - offered by ACerS Engineering Ceramics Division (ECD)
- Jubilee Global Diversity Award - offered by ACerS Engineering Ceramics Division (ECD)
- Bioceramics Young Scholar Award - offered by ACerS Bioceramics Division
- Global Young Bioceramicist Award - offered by ACerS Bioceramics Division
- Early Career Award - offered by ACerS Cements Division
- Early Discovery Award - offered by ACerS Basic Science Division
ACerS offers even more awards! While the above apply specifically to young professionals, chances are that you may qualify for additional awards. View the entire list of awards to see which apply to you.
“The connections that I’ve made through The American Ceramic Society have been invaluable. I highly encourage anyone to get involved with the Society.”
Geoff Brennecka, Colorado School of Mines
2021-2022 Young Professionals Network (YPN) Steering Committee
2020-2022 YPN Co-Chair
Yuxuan Gong, JELD WEN, Inc.
2021-2023 YPN Co-Chair
Ashley Hampton, Allied Mineral Products
YPN STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBERS
Mark Losego, Georgia Tech
James LeBeau, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Charmayne Lonergan, Pacific Northwest National
David Poerschke, University of Minnesota
Shiv Prakash Singh, International Advanced Research Center for Powder Metallurgy & New Materials (ARCI)
Rafael Jaramillo, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Kathryn Goetschius, Corning, Inc.
Usman Liaqat, National University of Sciences and Technology
Emmanuel Rowe, Middle Tennessee State University
Ângelo Cristante, Reno Refractories, Inc.
Chuancheng Duan, Kansas State University
The YPN Steering Committee is composed of members who are actively engaged in identifying and executing specific activities and tasks to further the goals of the YPN within any given year, as determined by the YPN co-chairs.
The YPN’s initiatives for 2021 include:
- YPN + 1 Initiative – more details to come on this new program!
- YPN Coffee/Mixer virtual events – created to connect YPN members across the globe for networking opportunities outside of conference events.
- Super Member / Moderator – these roles offer opportunities to grow the YPN’s presence within the online ACerS Member Community.
- YPN is actively helping to define and support the roll out of ACerS Strategic Initiatives.
Ongoing YPN initiatives include:
- Lunch/Network with a Professional – offered in conjunction with a variety of ACerS conferences throughout the year.
- Webinars – offered under the ACerS Professional Skills and Personal Development Webinar Series, the YPN organizes several webinar offerings throughout the year.
- Collaboration - The YPN Steering Committee strives to work with groups such as the PCSA, to co-organize programs and events, as well as to more clearly define a path from student to young professional.
- Du-Co Ceramics Young Professional Award
Become an Individual or Associate Member
If you are a recent graduate, ACerS can help you succeed by offering you a FREE Associate Membership.
By becoming an ACerS Individual or Associate Member, you’ll have access to valuable resources that will benefit you now and throughout your career.