2019 Section Officers:
Chair: Sandrine Ricote
Secretary: Scott Thompson
Treasurer: Nate Orloff
Student Chair: Eric Marksz
Meetings and Events
Tour of Johns Manville Technical Center
Please join the Colorado section of the American Ceramic Society (ACerS) on Thursday, October 17, 2019 from 4 pm – 6 pm at the Johns Manville (JM) Technical Center located to the southwest of Denver in Littleton (10100 W Ute Ave, Littleton). JM has one of the most extensive testing facilities in the industry and our R&D efforts are centered around Innovation, Process Development and Material Development.
Please see the agenda for the meeting.
4:00 – 4:15 pm – JM Company Overview
4:15 – 4:30 pm – JMTC Analytical Capabilities
4:30 – 5:30 pm – Tour of the Microscopy Lab, Metallurgy Lab and Glass Technology Lab
5:30 – 6:00 pm – Q&A and Networking
Followed by social Networking at Blue Spruce Brewing Company Littleton (10577 W Centennial Rd, Littleton)
Please send an email to Sandrine Ricote (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you plan to attend.
June Meeting featured tour of NIST LAbs
Fifteen attendees toured NIST Boulder Labs on Monday, June 10, 2019. Highlights of the tour included:
- NIST's 1980 Emmy Award for the invention of closed captioning
- Steps where President Eisenhower gave speech during the commissioning of NIST Boulder
- NIST-F2 atomic clock, which neither gains nor loses one second in 300 years
- Section member Nate Orloff's lab for high-frequency dielectric material characterization and microfluidics
- Boulder Microfabrication Facility, a Class-100 clean room, where NIST traceable Programmable Josephson Voltage Standards are made
- Precision Imaging Facility, replete with numerous imaging tools including a He-ion microscope and extreme atom probe tomography
- Molecular Beam Epitaxy Chamber, a high-vacuum machine cluster where GaN nanowires are produced
After the tour, participants enjoyed a social hour with food and beer at a local Boulder brewery. During that time, Section officers Sandrine Ricote, Scott Thompson, Nate Orloff, Bill Long, and Eric Marksz met to plan and discuss future Section business, which included:
- Potential tours and/or events, such as Lockheed Martin, Ball Aerospace, Honeywell, NREL, and Colorado School of Mines
- Sponsorship of an award at EMA or MS&T for students
- Obtaining Materials Science Classroom Kits from ACerS for interactions with local high schools
- Potential for a speaker series at Colorado School of Mines
- Continued collaboration with ASME on occasional joint local meetings including Students in Industry Week
Stay tuned for upcoming meeting announcements!
Colorado Section to Co-Host Event at university of denver
Join us for an informational lecture and networking event, co-sponsored by the Colorado Section of ACerS and ASME, on Thursday, April 25, 2019, at 6:30 p.m.
Steve Ford will present information on his research on both explosives and ballistics. He will describe several experiments that were done at the University of Denver's Applied Research and Technology Institute with high speed videos and images from flash x-ray.
Following the presentation, we will gather for dinner and networking at the nearby restaurant, The Pioneer.
Date: Thursday, April 25, 2019
Time: 6:30 p.m..
Location: Engineering & Computer Science Building, 2155 East Wesley Avenue, Room ECS300
Attendees should allow 15 to 20 minutes to park and walk to the venue. Click here for a map of the area.
The lecture is free. Attendees will be responsible for the cost of their dinner.
Please RSVP for the lecture to Sandrine Ricote.
Students in Industry Day 2019!
In conjunction with ASME, the Colorado Section of ACerS has organized the Students in Industry Day Program, through which mechanical and materials science engineering students are paired with local businesses to observe and work with experienced engineers. While shadowing an engineer, students will be able to learn about the company and what engineers do on a day-to-day basis.
When: February 20 - 22, 2019
Dinner: 6:30 - 9:30 p.m., February 22
Where: Wynkoop Brewing Company, Mercantile Room, 1634 18th Street, Denver, Colorado
Cost: $20 for students; $30 for members; $35 for non-members
Ski Day 2019!
A great time was had by all on February 8 for Ski Day 2019 at Loveland Ski Area!
Section Sponsors Free Tour, Presentation, and Networking Event
The Colorado Section of ACerS joined with ASME to provide a FREE tour of Wings Over the Rockies (WOTR) and presentation on Thursday, November 1, 2018. Guest speaker Stephen Kelly presented information on the Apollopalooza 50th celebration in 2019, when WOTR will celebrate the first moon landing. After the tour and presentation, attendees moved over to the Lowry Beer Garden for a standing social!
Colorado Section holds Inaugural Meeting
The newest ACerS Section held its kick-off meeting on Thursday, September 27, 2018, 6-8 p.m., at CoorsTek Center for Advanced Materials in Golden, CO. A welcome message and opening remarks were given by Sandrine Ricote, Chair of the Colorado Section, which was followed by a CoorsTek presentation. Nearly 40 participants enjoyed a tour of the new research and development facility, led by CoorsTek engineers. Light appetizers and beverages were provided by CoorsTek.