Materials science kits
The PCSA presents materials science demonstration and laboratory kits that provide an introduction to the basic classes of materials (ceramics, composites, metals, and polymers) through fun and interactive lessons.
Each kit includes most of the essential materials needed to perform the experiments as well as a comprehensive set of lesson documents consisting of instructions, discussion questions, and sample data sheets. The kits are targeted towards 7th – 12th grade students and will provide enough detailed information for a high school class, which could then be simplified for younger students.
There are currently 2 kits for sale, plus a supplemental liquid nitrogen kit. The downloadable lessons are available for free below.
ACerS’ PCSA requests that you complete a contact information form prior to downloading the materials science lessons so that PCSA can continue to develop additional free lessons for use in your classroom and let you know when they are available. Please take a moment to complete this contact form, then continue on to the download. At a later time, PCSA will send an evaluation form and we would appreciate any feedback on the lessons once you’ve performed them.
You can be removed from this list at any time by sending an email to Tricia Freshour. Thank you for completing the form.
- Student Laboratory Kit: contains 5 lessons that are designed for students to perform in small groups. Explore the following introduction and lab lessons:
- Student Laboratory Kit Introductory PowerPoint Presentation
- Download ALL Student Laboratory Kit files
- Teacher Demonstration Kit: contains 5 lessons that are designed for the teacher to perform with assistance from students. Explore the following introduction and demo lessons:
- Teacher Demonstration Kit Introductory PowerPoint Presentation
- Liquid Nitrogen Kit: This supplemental kit is designed for teachers who are able to obtain their own liquid nitrogen and consists of 3 lessons. Explore the following liquid nitrogen lessons:
Middle and High School Teacher/General Public Pricing:
$80 per kit (includes shipping)
Download Order Form (PDF)
Corporate and Industry Representative Pricing:
Sponsor a kit and help connect your company to students at a local middle or high school in your area. Here’s how it works:
- Purchase a kit for $100 each (includes shipping).
- Identify a local school in your area that you would like us to send the kit to.
- A label will be prominently placed on the kit, recognizing your company as the donor, and ACerS will recognize your company in the ACerS Bulletin and on the ACerS PCSA website for sponsoring a kit.
This is your chance to promote materials science in your local area and help foster relationships between students and the materials science and ceramics industry.
NOTE: Kit prices will include the cost of shipping within the United States. International shipping price available upon request.
For more information, contact Tricia Freshour or by phone at +1-614-794-5827.