Deadline for submitting poster(s) for MS&T’13: to be determined
Note that ACerS will NOT send posters back after the conference (see item #11 below).
The Snow award is presented to the Best of Show winner of the Ceramographic Exhibit & Competition, an annual poster exhibit to promote the use of microscopy and microanalysis as tools in the scientific investigation of ceramic materials. The competition is held during the ACerS Annual Meeting and entries are prominently displayed in the Convention Center. The Best of Show poster will be published in a future issue of the Bulletin. Other entries may appear on the back covers of the Journal of the American Ceramic Society throughout the year.
First, second and third place winners will be recognized in each of the six categories listed below, with a certificate and a monetary awards of $75, $50 and $25, respectively. The Best of Show winner will be announced before the Sosman Lecture and at the Basic Science Division Business Meeting. The poster awarded Best of Show will receive the Roland B. Snow Award, which includes a $100 monetary award and a commemorative glass piece.
Participants are encouraged to submit entries in one or more of the following categories:
- Optical Microscopy (including confocal)
- Scanning Electron Microscopy
- Transmission and/or Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy
- Microanalysis / Combined Techniques
- Scanning Probe Microscopy
- Undergraduate Studies
Rules of Entry:
1. Previous entries are not acceptable.
2. Only 2 entries per category per person.
3. Entire poster should be mounted on stiff cardboard or laminated (poster should be stiff and easy to hang).
4. Poster should have the dimensions 41 cm by 51 cm with NO MORE than four images/graphs.
5. Descriptive text should be limited to 75 words or less.
6. Entries shall be clearly labeled on the front face with the following information:
Category (lower right hand corner)
- Concise title (across top of poster)
- Names and affiliations of contributors below title. Also put your name and return address on the back of the entry.
7. Undergraduate student entrants must be enrolled in ceramic courses at the time photographs are produced.
8. If fewer than four entries are received per classification, they will be combined with another classification.
9. Sign and submit the Permission to Use Form. The American Ceramic Society arranges to have some of the winning Ceramographic posters published on the back cover of the Journal each year. All entrants must complete the form and submit it along with an electronic copy of the poster entry to Tricia Freshour. Receipt of the form and electronic poster allows ACerS to send posters to Wiley for possible publication in the Journal. NOTE: YOU MUST ALSO SEND YOUR ACTUAL HARD-COPY POSTER TO KARREN MORE OR BRING YOUR HARD-COPY POSTER TO MS&T. SEE #11 below. Sending the form and electronic poster to Tricia does not enter you into the MS&T Ceramographic Competition.
10. Entry Deadline: Actual posters (do not send digital files) must be received by Karren More by: (deadline for MS&T’13 to be determined). If you wish to bring your poster to MS&T instead, you must bring it to the display area at the convention center no later than 10:00 a.m. Sunday, October 27, 2013 since the posters will be judged starting at this time.
11. You may pick up your poster anytime on Wednesday afternoon, Oct. 30, 2013. POSTERS THAT ARE NOT PICKED UP WILL NOT BE SENT TO INDIVIDUALS AFTER THE CONFERENCE. IF YOU WANT YOUR POSTER, YOU MUST TAKE IT WITH YOU. ACerS will NOT send posters back after the conference.
Contact Dr. Karren More with any questions.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
1 Bethel Valley Rd.
Building 4515, Room 193
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6064