Somany Ceramics Ltd. has won The American Ceramic Society’s Corporate Technical Achievement Award for the development of Somany Veil Craft (VC) Shield Floor Tiles. With the core mission of translating technology into everyday benefits, these scratch, stain and abrasion resistant tiles are a first of their kind in India and have been developed under the visionary leadership of Shreekant Somany, Group’s Chairman and Managing Director.
Shreekant Somany, son of Shri Hira Lall Somany, after doing graduation in Science from Kolkata University, joined the family business in 1969. Having been trained at SIMILOR in Geneva, Switzerland in Foundry Practices and Machine Shop, he established Soma Plumbing & Fixtures Limited upon his return to India in the year 1975 and ran the unit profitably until 1981. In the year 1981, he moved to Hyderabad to head the Glass Division of Hindustan Sanitaryware & Industries Ltd, a Group company. Under his leadership, this sick unit was successfully turned around.
In 1992, he came back to Delhi to head another Group company, Somany Pilkington Ltd., now called Somany Ceramics Ltd (SCL), one of the well-established and largest manufacturers of glazed ceramic tiles in the country. In 1994, he took charge of this company as its Managing Director, and later on in the year 2005, he became the Chairman & Managing Director. Today, the company has a manufacturing base to produce 40 million sqm of ceramic tiles annually in their own and through joint venture partners. The company employs 2600 people and has a turnover of $220 million. SCL is growing at a CAGR of 20% since 5 years and offers the widest range of ceramic tiles in the country and has a strong pan India sales distribution network besides exporting its material to 33 countries across the globe.
Mr. Somany has been a major driving force behind the growth of Somany Ceramics Ltd and was deeply involved in the development of the patented Veilcraft (VC) shield technology “A High Abrasion Resistant Glaze Composition”. This has allowed SCL to carve a niche through the patented technology and has enhanced its industry respect and also translated into $25 million worth of revenues in just four years.
A leader in his own right, Mr Somany has been associated with various Federations and Associations which include:
- Former President of the All India Glass Manufacturers Association
- Former President, Confederation of Construction Products and Services
- Former Chairman, Indian Council for Ceramic Tile and Sanitaryware
- Former President, Rotary Club of Delhi Midtown
- Chairman, CERAGLASS 2010 & 2012 (held at Jaipur), an exhibition jointly organized by the CII, Govt. of Rajasthan and Ministry of Commerce, Govt. of India
- Presently Deputy Chairman of the Confederation of Indian Industry Northern Region and Chairman of the Northern Region CII Family Business Network
- He had also led the Australia-New Zealand Joint Business Council delegation organized by ASSOCHAM and FICCI and the CII Business Leaders Mission to Sri Lanka & Bangladesh
Being in the business of adding beauty to living spaces, he has always been artistically inclined – in love with art, design and music. An avid photographer, he is also deeply interested in sports and horticulture. But what really outlines his personality is his passion to discover the new, and tread the road less-travelled. And this is what makes this honour by The American Ceramic Society so well-deserved.