ACerS Next Top Demo Competition
SHOW OFF YOUR DEMONSTRATION SKILLS!
Make a video to showcase how ceramic and glass science is so awesome!
Science is involved in every aspect of daily life, and it’s important that we, as scientists, are able to accurately and succinctly demonstrate how the general public is impacted by this. In ceramic and glass science, we often attempt to educate the public through community outreach events that perform demonstrations of the scientific concepts that govern our world.
This new virtual competition, organized by ACerS President’s Council of Student Advisors, is designed to be another outlet to help educate the public while advertising the community outreach that you and your university/group already perform. And, you can receive the proper recognition for doing so.
SO, WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO?
Get a group of fellow students together and submit a video conducting a ceramic and/or glass outreach demonstration. Examples of student groups could be:
- Keramos student chapters,
- Material Advantage student chapters,
- University research groups, or
- Anybody you know that puts on ceramic or glass science demos
Or, you can go out on your own and submit a video individually. It’s up to you!
HOW TO COMPETE AND SEND VIDEO SUBMISSIONS:
The following two items are required to compete in the contest.
- Submit your video via the special Facebook group for this competition. Here are the video requirements and specifications:
- Size = maximum of 1GB
- Length = No more than 7 minutes
- Resolution = 1080p
- In addition to your video, submit a short summary of your demo, based on the following questions:
- What are the scientific concepts you are showing?
- How are you showing these concepts?
- What age groups is the demo geared toward?
- How often have you given this demo?
For the complete rules and guidelines, click here.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS HAS BEEN EXTENDED: May 12, 2017.
First, second, and third place prizes will be given in the amounts of $250, $150, and $100, respectively. In addition, the top three demo videos will be recognized at the MS&T conference in October 2017.
Cash prizes sponsored by the Ceramic and Glass Industry Foundation.
Questions? Contact PCSADemo@ceramics.org for more information.