Though ceramics is the main focus at The American Ceramic Society, glass is a significant part of the Society as well. In celebration of the International Year of Glass, ACerS is coordinating several special features through its various publications.
ACerS journals are hosting the Glass: Then and Now series, which highlights ACerS journal articles that have played historically critical roles in advancing glass science and technology, as well as recently published articles that are setting future directions for the field. Learn more about the series at this link.
The ACerS Bulletin includes a special column each issue that explores the role of glass in diverse research fields and industries. See each of the columns that have published to date below.
- January/February: The American Ceramic Society journals celebrate the International Year of Glass
- March: A legacy of refractories commitment to glass advancements
- April: The American Glass Guild unites artists and scholars of stained glass
AGG president Kathy Jordan also appears on an episode of Talking Out Your Glass
- May: Glass for optical technologies
- June/July: Discovering the invisible: IYOG ushers in the Age of Glass
- August: Women in glass—beyond the glass ceiling
- September: DGG centennial celebrated at International Congress on Glass
The Ceramic Tech Chat podcast is welcoming members who specialize in glass on the show to share how they fell in love with in this fascinating material. Check out the episodes involving glass below.
- Research and education for nuclear waste: Charmayne Lonergan
- A teacher’s thoughts on glass and money: Steve Feller
- Teaching science through experience: Adelle Schade
- Welcome to IYOG 2022: Kathleen Richardson and Manoj Choudhary
- The Glass of Wine: Jim and Penelope Shackelford
- Advancing the Age of Glass: Mathieu Hubert